Persistent facial redness is often an indication of rosacea. The main symptom of this skin condition is a flushing of the cheeks, nose and/or chin that can become worse over time. Patients often ask us how they can deal with this facial redness, and in this Ask Cutis post, we address just that.
The best in-office solution for facial redness.
The gold-standard solution to address skin redness is Cutis IPL Photorejuvenation. This treatment involves targeting skin discolouration with wavelengths of light that deliver heat energy into the skin. When treating skin redness, the pulses of light are set to target the blood plasma that is trapped in the dilated vessels; the heat energy coagulates and destroys these capillaries and reroutes the blood flow. A series of treatments can make substantial improvements to the skin tone.
In addition to correcting a ruddy complexion, Cutis IPL Photorejuvenation can fade brown spots that are the result of sun damage for further skin brightening benefits.
How many treatments will I need?
It is important to note that rosacea is a chronic skin condition and therefore, ongoing treatments will be needed to manage your symptoms. Usually a series of 6 treatments done a month apart is required to clear . However, there are steps you can take to minimize your symptoms and prolong the benefits of your Cutis IPL Photorejuvenation treatments.
What to do at home.
- Wash your face with tepid water. Cleansing your skin with water that is neither too hot nor too cold will prevent stressing the delicate capillaries that are easily dilated by exposure to temperature extremes.
- Use products for sensitive skin. We recommend consulting a skin expert for professional skincare recommendations, but when shopping independently for products, it’s important to look for formulations that are free of irritants such as artificial fragrance and dyes so as not to cause inflammation and sensitivity in your skin.
- Wear and reapply sunscreen daily. Protecting your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays will help to prolong the results of your treatments as well as preserve the health and youthful appearance of your skin. Cutis has a variety of chemical and mineral broad-spectrum sunscreen formulations to suit even the most sensitive skin. Visit us to learn about your options.
- Be careful not to over-exfoliate. Using harsh scrubs or overdoing any kind of exfoliation can thin the skin, inducing sensitivity and causing rosacea symptoms to flare up.
- Avoiding the triggers of rosacea. Spicy foods, alcohol, hot coffee and tea are many food triggers that can cause flushing . The sun, wind and stress are other factors that should be avoided or minimized if possible.
The fix for facial redness may not be quick, but the skin benefits from managing rosacea with Cutis IPL Photorejuvenation go beyond redness relief to include smoothing fine lines, refining pores, fading pigmentation and energizing the skin. To learn more about managing your rosacea symptoms and how you can benefit from Cutis IPL photorejuvenation, we invite you to book a complimentary consultation with one of our award-winning laser technicians. Contact us to arrange your appointment today.
DISCLAIMER: Individual outcomes, results and number of treatments recommended may vary based on individual patient needs, medical history, and circumstances. Cutis Cosmetic & Laser Centre cannot guarantee exact or permanent results or cures.